Cooragook Station

06/12/2023 Comments (0) BVRT Small Stations History Project

Borallon Station History

(11.5 km from Wulkuraka)

The station was reportedly named by Mr. Francis Curnow (1840-1901), a former Queensland Railway Commissioner. The name came from Mr. Curnow’s birthplace at St Ives in Cornwall, England.

The primary purpose of the station was to transport cattle.


1884-87    Stopping place

1887          Stopping place, loading bank , Shelter shed provide.

1889-94    Gate, siding. loading, timber load stage, 10 cwt scales.

1916        21cwt scales installed..

1925        scales removed.

1932       Station mistress will be withdrawn on from 29/8/32, work isolated siding. Cattle grids being substituted for Level Crossing gates.

 1935    Siding, cattle yards, side loading bank, shelter.

 1939    Approving Borallon as staff station with phone to Ipswich and Wulkuraka. Station mistress in charge again.

1946   Goods shed provided.

1950    Gate, siding, railway phone, cattle yards, side loading bank, shelter, goodsshed

1963  The station mistress’ position was again abolished on 14th October 1963.

1965   The layout, of first  mainline  trailable points installed, has been altered to the now standard practice of right hand running and distant signals replaced by reflectorized beacons.

Notes : Mark Linnett , John Kerr and Mike Quirk

Photos Credit : N/K

Leave a Reply